I’m not too big on making gifts but every once in a while I find something that I myself feel is very indulgent and then I want to share it with those I love…so I make it and gift it. This is a great way to save money and show you care all in one.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in a 1 gallon pot over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer undisturbed for 4 minutes. Stir,then continue to cook for an additional 4 to 6 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is a deep golden color. Turn off the heat and whisk in salt, baking soda and vanilla. Set the whisk aside and stir in the popcorn. Scoop up the syrup from the bottom and over the top. Keep stirring and scooping the syrup over the popcorn until it is evenly covered and there is no syrup left on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the caramel corn has turned a deep amber color. Remove the caramel corn from the oven and spoon it onto a waxed paper-lined surface to cool. When completely cooled, store caramel corn in a covered container- it should stay fresh for up to a week.