- 1 medium-size yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 (28-oz.) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta or wide fettuccine
- Freshly shaved or grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Sauté first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add beef to skillet, and cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until crumbled and no longer pink; drain. Stir in kosher salt and next 5 ingredients. Stir in wine, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until almost all liquid evaporates. Add to slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Using your hands, crush tomatoes, and break them apart. Add to slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours. Stir in cream. Check sauce; it should be thick and creamy. (If soupy, uncover and cook 30 more minutes. If dry, stir in reserved canned tomato liquid, 1 Tbsp. at a time, to thin sauce.)
- Discard bay leaf.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Toss together pasta and 4 cups sauce. (Reserve remaining sauce for another use.) Spoon into serving dishes, and sprinkle with the desired amount of cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Source: My Recipes