Sweet and spicy nuts are very addicting at the holiday time. You can order this type of treat from Harry and David or another gourmet food outlet or you could save some money and make them yourself.
Sweet and spicy nuts are an indulgent treat and will never be inexpensive but you will save a lot if you decide to make them yourself. This is actually a fun recipe to make. You can include or exclude nuts based on your personal likes.
Package these up and send them off to those you love or put them out before or after your holiday meal. They will be appreciated!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds)
- Mix spices and set aside.
- Heat nuts in a dry skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until begin to toast, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Add the butter, sugar, water and spices to the hot skillet and cook, stirring, until a glaze forms, about 1 minute. Return the nuts to the skillet and toss to combine with the glaze. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the nuts are glazed and golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, separating with a fork. Let rest until cooled and the sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.