- 4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 3/4 cups Crisco or another vegetable shortening
- 1 T white or cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- Put first 3 ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with a fork
- Add shortening and mix with fork until ingredients are crumbly
- In a small bowl, beat together with a fork 1/2 cup of water, the vinegar, and the egg.
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring with a fork until all ingredients are moistened.
- Divide dough into 5 portions and, with hands, shape each portion in a flat round patty ready for rolling.
- Wrap each in plastic or waxed paper and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- When ready to roll piecrust, lightly flour board and roller and roll into 1/8 thick round (about 2 inches larger than pie pan)
- Fold in half, then quarters to transfer to pie dish. Press into the pie dish to remove air pockets.