- 1 – cup cooked or leftover rice
- 1/3 -cup flour
- 3/4 – cup sugar
- 1/4 – teaspoon salt
- 2 – cups whole or low fat milk
- 3 – egg yolks, beaten
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon sugar for garnish
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add the sugar, flour, salt, and milk. Stir until the mixture begins to boil. Let the mixture boil while stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Separate the eggs and add the yolks to a small bowl. Discard the egg whites or save for another recipe (see cooks note). Add 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks and gently mix (this tempers the eggs).
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the hot pudding and mix well. Mix until you have a creamy consistency.
- Add the cooked rice and place the pot back on the stove. Continue to cook on low for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly so pudding does not lump and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- The pudding will be done when the mixture starts to thicken to a pudding consistency, and the mixture coats the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Remove pudding from heat and add the vanilla extract, blend well. Chill before serving or serve at room temperature.