- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole Greek pita breads
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomato
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (use your favorite type of lettuce)
- 8 slices sweet onion
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt, and pepper. Crumble lamb over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita bread with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm. Cut meat loaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meatloaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp. NOTE: If you prefer, you can cut the meatloaf into cubes and fry the cubed meatloaf in skillet.
- On each pita bread, layer the tomato, onion, and meatloaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce. Carefully fold pitas in half. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.