- 2 lbs. chopped meat (can use turkey, beef, pork, veal – any combination works)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup minced Vidalia onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 – 2 slices of bread pulsed in mini processor
- 3 tablespoons of milk or water to wet bread
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix with your hands. Depending upon which meats you’ve combined you may need more or less breadcrumbs. Meat should not be sticky. You should be able to make a ball from the meat. I use an ice cream scoop to keep meatballs the same size.
- Take a bit of the mixed meat and put into a small, heated frying pan. Cook and then taste for seasoning. Add more salt and spices if necessary.
- Form all meatballs and add to and cook in your simmering sauce.
- Meatballs will take about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour to cook.