- 2 heads of Romain lettuce cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon (or 1 tablespoon jarred lemon juice)
- 1 can of anchovies (filets)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Extra grated cheese for the top of the salad
- Fresh ground black pepper
To make the dressing:
- In a small processor, chop garlic.
- Add entire can of anchovies (oil and all) and process till smooth
- Add Dijon mustard, lemon, olive oil, and 1/3 cup grated cheese. Process till smooth.
- Taste – adjust by adding more lemon or Dijon if necessary.
To make the salad:
- Add cut up lettuce to a salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese (if desired)
- Add croutons and fresh black pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix just before serving.
NOTE: If you like a creamier dressing – drizzle olive oil into the processor (you will need one that allows you to add oil while it is going). If you don’t have that type of processor but want a creamier dressing add a 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.