American Chop Suey was a dinner served in a lot of households when I was a kid. It had different names depending upon whose house it was being made in, but the recipe was pretty much the same. Some called it Crazy mixed up noodles.
Some variations included green peppers and garlic. Some added cheese to their recipe. But overall, American Chop Suey was a family-friendly, cost efficient weekday meal for many.
In my house, we made a similar dish but replaced the macaroni with diced potatoes. We called this “Glop.” It sounds like we didn’t like it, but we did.
Here is the basic recipe for American Chop Suey
- 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes with juice, broken/cut
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown beef or turkey making sure to break up meat.
- Add diced onions and cook with meat until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and juice making sure to break tomatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni to skillet and mix well.