- 7 cups sliced, peeled baking apples (Granny Smith or Jonathan work best)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss well to coat.
- Fill pastry lined 9 inch pie pan with apple mixture. Dot with butter.
- Place second crust on top of pie filling, cut slits in top of crust to vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and water. Brush mixture over top crust. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
Flaky Pastry Pie Crust Recipe
Makes two 9-inch pie crusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the ice water, a Tablespoon at a time, until the crust mixture forms a ball.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle flour onto rolling surface. Roll dough out, then divide in half. Roll each half to fit a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place crust in pie plate, pressing evenly into the bottom and sides.