Spicy Cilantro Mayonnaise really adds a delightful kick to the traditional Bacon Wrapped Scallop recipe. The cool mayonnaise, fresh cilantro, and spicy chili paste make the perfect dipping sauce for these bacon wrapped scallops.
Most often served as an appetizers, bacon wrapped scallops can be a super indulgent meal when served on a toasted bun and topped with Spicy Cilantro Mayonnaise, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes or on skewers served over a bed of salad greens.
Spicy- Cilantro Mayonnaise:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground chili paste
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops, rinsed and dried
- 3/4 to 1 pound thin sliced bacon (not center cut), strips cut in half crosswise
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- leaf lettuce leaves, for serving
Prepare the spicy cilantro mayonnaise:
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, hot chili paste, lime juice and cilantro; stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prepare the scallops:
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Wrap each scallop with a piece of bacon and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- Place the bacon-wrapped scallops onto the prepared baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper.
- Cook them under the broiler for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked through- turning once mid-way through.
- Serve on individual plates garnished with curly leaf lettuce or line a large platter with lettuce leaves and place the bacon-wrapped scallops on top. Serve with a dish of the spicy mayonnaise for dipping.