We all grew up with some form of Mac and Cheese – often the boxed variety. Here is a recipe for a baked mac and cheese that can be served to guests along-side your ham, burgers, or hot dogs.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese is a comfort food and this recipe is no exception.
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook, stirring occasionally until it is almost tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, the cayenne pepper, and a teaspoon of salt.
- Put half the macaroni into a buttered 2-quart casserole and top with half the cheddar cheese. Repeat. Pour the milk mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the paprika, the remaining butter, and the Parmesan. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the macaroni and bake until brown and bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.