I grew up making and eating Baked Stuffed Clams. The recipe came from our local church cookbook. I have always liked this recipe and today I find myself making these and eating them as a meal with a cool, crisp glass of white wine.
Baked Stuffed Clams are traditionally served as an appetizer. I am thinking of serving them prior to my Thanksgiving dinner this year. One of the nice things about this recipe is that you can make the clam stuffing ahead of time, fill the shells, and pop them in the oven just before you are ready to serve them. When serving a big meal make-ahead recipes are really helpful.
- 10 Empty clam shells or scallop shells
- 2 Cans minced clams
- 1 can of CHOPPED clams
- 1 Clove of chopped garlic
- 5 cooked pieces of bacon ( minced up after it is cooked )
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 T fresh Chopped parsley
- 1/2 T Oregano
- 1/4 t Thyme
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1/3 C White wine
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
- Italian Bread crumbs
- Lemon Juice
- Saute garlic and onion
- Pour in clams and Juice from ONE can
- Add spices and White Wine, and let simmer
- Now stir in enough Italian bread crumbs to make a soft moist stuffing add bacon.
- Spoon mixture into each shell
- Spoon approximately ONE teaspoon of cheese on each shell
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 – 20 mins
- Sprinkle with lemon juice