Here is a great recipe for Beef and Spinach Lo Mein that can be made quickly with just a few ingredients that most of us have on hand (if we love Asian food).
This recipe is easy to alter so that you can include your favorite meat, shellfish, and/or vegetables. Beef and Spinach Lo Mein is a kid-friendly Asian dish. Add a bit of cayenne if you want to kick up the flavor.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top round steak, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients.
- Remove 1/4 cup mixture to a large bowl; add beef and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil.
- Add half of the beef mixture; stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with an additional 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef mixture.
- Stir-fry water chestnuts and green onions in remaining canola oil 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and remaining hoisin mixture; cook until spinach is wilted. Return beef to pan; heat through.
- Drain spaghetti; add to beef mixture and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with chili pepper.