Hot Mulled Cider is great at this time of year. Serve this delicious mulled cider to your guests when they arrive for your holiday party to warm them up or make some for the family and enjoy a cup while watching a good movie.
- 1/2 gallon of fresh, unfiltered apple cider
- 1 orange
- 15 cloves
- 4 3-inch sticks of cinnamon
- 15 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 7 pods of cardamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Pour apple cider into a 3-quart saucepan, cover, turn the heat on medium-high. While cider is heating up, take a vegetable peeler and peel away a couple thick strips of peel from the orange. Press about half of the cloves into the peeled part of the orange. (You can also just quarter the orange and add the slices and cloves separately.) Place orange, orange peel strips, the remaining cloves, and the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan with the cider. Keep covered and heat the mulled cider mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the hot mulled cider away from the orange, cloves, and other spices. If you want, you can add a touch of bourbon, brandy, or rum to spike it up a bit.
- Serve hot. Add a cinnamon stick to each cup if desired.
Makes 8 cups.