This broccoli bacon salad recipe is a hearty main meal salad that is sure to please even the men in your household. This recipe is a twist on a simple broccoli salad, but because it includes romaine lettuce and bacon, it moves from side salad to main entree.
I really like a smokey flavored bacon so I buy the bacon at my local butcher. I ask to have it cut on the thicker side and because I use this as a main dish, I am generous with the bacon.
The recipe below will serve 4-5 if you are serving it as a main entree or 8-10 if you decide to serve is as a side dish. Either way this broccoli bacon salad is a winner. Enjoy!
- 1 head fresh broccoli, washed and cut into bite-size flowerets
- 3 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 – 1 cup crumbled bacon (approx. 6 to 8 slices for 1/2 cup and 12-16 slices for 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut raw bacon into small pieces and cook. Drain and cool, and set aside.
- Add broccoli, red onions, cranberries, almonds and sunflower seeds to a large bowl.
- Next, make the dressing by mixing mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the broccoli salad and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer salad to a large plate or serving bowl.
- Finish the salad off by garnishing with the crumbled bacon.