This Brown Rice salad with Bok Choy and Orange Sesame Dressing is a very versatile salad that can be made with or without chicken. It is full of healthy ingredients and packed with flavor. This is a fun salad to bring to a party because it is easy to make and can be done ahead of time, stored in an air-tight container and brought out right before serving.
For the salad:
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- 1½ cups shredded carrot
- 3 baby bok choy, rinsed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
Orange Sesame Dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup canola oil
To make the salad:
- Combine the brown rice, chicken, shredded carrot, bok choy, peas, cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
To make the Orange Sesame dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or liquid measuring cup. Whisk vigorously until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Add the dressing to the bowl with the salad, a bit at a time, tossing gently to coat. Taste and add more dressing as necessary.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.