- 4 pounds sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into small pieces
- 3 cans (32-ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2/3 cup water
- Cut sausage into small pieces and brown in a small amount of vegetable oil; set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in soup pot and cook vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes) until tender.
- Add tomato juice, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, sausage and grease. Bring mixture to a boil. Mix water and corn starch together and thicken soup with mixture.
- Remove soup from heat, add heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.