As soon as the tomatoes in the store show signs of improvement, it is time to make this salad. After a long winter of hothouse tomatoes, this is a refreshing change. This salad is best made from garden fresh tomatoes. There is nothing quite so simple and delicious as this Caprese salad. Using fresh motzerella is a must, but that goes without saying.
- 2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, washed well and spun dry
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- On a large platter arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Sprinkle salad with oregano and arugula and drizzle with oil. Season salad with salt and pepper.