Chinese Green Beans, sometimes referred to dry fried green beans or stir fried green beans on a Chinese menu, are a flavorful, light, meatless entree choice. Fresh produce is now abundant and inexpensive. These Chinese Green Beans make a wonderful inexpensive summer meal.
Every once in a while it is nice to serve a meatless meal but sometimes we run out of ideas. With Asian cuisine, there are lots of options. Here is one idea. If you like green beans and Chinese food, you’ll love this recipe. Serve with brown or white rice or over a bed of greens.
- 1lb fresh green beans (washed with strings removed and ends trimmed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root (minced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place beans into a vegetable steamer and place over boiling water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. When finished drain and dump beans into cold water and drain once again.
- Add oil to the wok and add garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds. Add beans and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of water with cornstarch, soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and sesame oil and mix well.
- Add mixture to beats and stir fry for 30 seconds to a minute.