I know that chocolate molten lava cake is a favorite for many so I went in search of an easy-to-make version that I could set up easily and serve to a group of guests effortlessly.
This version fits that bill. The crock pot makes this super easy – just set it up and let it go.
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
FOR THE FUDGE TOPPING:
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 Cups Boiling Water
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Spread batter over bottom of a large crockpot (this will rise so don’t use a mini crock pot). The batter will be stiff.
- Combine brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- Sprinkle over cake batter.
- Pour boiling water over the top of it all and DO NOT STIR!
- Cover and cook on High for 2 – 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove lid, turn off, and let rest 30 minutes before serving so it isn’t so hot!
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired.