This is a chocolate pie recipe that has been handed down a few generations. It makes creamy, decadent chocolate pie that is truly a taste experience to remember.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 – 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. butter
- One baked 9″ pie shell
- 1 recipe meringue (below)
Directions for Chocolate Pie
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Add milk gradually, stirring until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate; stir until well blended.
- Add a small amount of cooked mixture to beaten egg yolks. Add to remaining mixture in saucepan.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat then add the butter and vanilla, mix well.
- Cover with waxed paper and cool slightly. Place cooled filling into pie shell, top with meringue.
- Bake at 275 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat until soft peaks are formed. Spread over filling. Seal to
- edge of crust to prevent shrinking.