Sometimes a simple shortbread cookie is the most indulgent. I love shortbread cookies because of their simple rich flavor. I hadn’t ever thought to add chocolate to shortbread, but this recipe for chocolate shortbread cookies is a new favorite.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cream butter. Add in sugar, salt and vanilla essence.
- On low speed, add the flour and cocoa powder until the dough holds together.
- Form the mixture into a ball, and flatten slightly.
- Flour a pastry cloth or your work surface, along with your rolling pin. Place the dough on the floured surface, turning it to coat both sides of the dough with flour. Roll the dough into a square of about 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 1 1⁄2 inch squares or use shaped cookie cutter. To add a bit of a design, prick the surface of each cookie with a fork.
- Bake for 25 – 30mins.