Codfish cakes are a great alternative to crab cakes. Cod is a very flavorful fish that tastes great with potatoes.
This recipe for cod fish cakes is easy to make and can be served as an appetizer or a main dish. I enjoy making these codfish cakes and serving them over a field greens salad drizzled with my favorite lemon/olive oil salad dressing. It makes for an elegant, light entree.
- 1 lb of cod fillets
- 2 medium-sized russet potatoes
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Canola oil, for frying
- Boil and mash the potatoes, set them aside.
- Boil the codfish until it flakes easily. Drain and flake the fish with a fork. Be sure to remove all bones.
- Mix the flaked fish, the potatoes and the rest of the ingredients together well by hand. If the mixture is too crumbly, add another egg. If too sticky, add some more bread crumbs.
- Form the mixture into cakes and fry them on medium high heat in a skillet coated with oil.
- Makes 12 fish cakes. Serves 4-6.