Coffee Cake Muffins – simple, elegant, delicious! This recipe for coffee cake muffins is a keeper. The cake is light and velvet-like and the crumbs just melt in your mouth.
I love the portion control created by baking coffee cake in a muffin tins. These are just the right size for a portion and they look nice too. I especially like these muffins straight from the oven.
For Streusal Topping
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups. Top with half the streusel mixture, then remaining batter, and top with streusel. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.