Everyone has a favorite coleslaw recipe. I love the KFC coleslaw and have found a recipe that I can make at home that tastes just like KFC’s coleslaw. I think the secret is the buttermilk. It is fast and easy to make and is sure to please any coleslaw lover.
This KFC coleslaw recipe indicates that you should use the shredder disk in your food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, simply use a knife and shred the cabbage by hand. Remember to let the coleslaw marinate – that is the key to having the right texture.
KFC coleslaw is great served with fried chicken, but it can be served with a sandwich, grilled fish, or ribs.
- 8 1/4 cups cabbage
- 1/3 cup carrots
- 1 teaspoon onions, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup milk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- First core and shred the cabbage finely using the fine shredder disk attachment for the food processor.
- Shred the carrots.
- In a bowl combine the buttermilk, mayonnaise, milk and lemon juice. Mix with a whisk till well combined.
- Add the seasoning.
- Add the sugar to the sauce and mix well.
- Add the sauce to the cabbage and carrot mixture and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to marinate for 13 hrs.
Makes: 9 cups