Zucchini is plentiful at this time of year and I am always in search of creative new ways to enjoy it. Crab Stuffed Zucchini is a pretty indulgent way to prepare garden fresh zucchini. The tomatoes and cheese give this recipe an Italian-like taste, but the crab – ricotta stuffing make it comparable to a delicious stuffed mushroom. Healthy, delicious, fast and easy to make – what’s not to like?
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 can (28 oz) whole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 6-8 oz crab meat
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsps finely chopped parsley
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsps grated or shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- Wash the zucchini and cut each in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the inside, being careful not to break through the skin.
- Drain the liquid from the tomatoes. Lightly crush the tomatoes by hand and place them into a microwave dish. Add the basil, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Place the zucchini halves into the tomatoes; cover and microwave 8 minutes. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes more or until zucchini is tender.
- While the zucchini is cooking, fold together the crab meat, ricotta, parsley, egg whites, salt, and pepper.
- Drain any liquid from the zucchini halves, then spoon the crab/ricotta mixture into the zucchini. Sprinkle with the Asiago or Parmesan and broil until lightly colored.
Makes 4 servings of Crab Stuffed Zucchini