I was given a tin of these delicious Dutch cookies by a dear friend. I had never had Dutch cookies before, but they will be a new yearly Christmas cookie in my house. I am not a big sweet lover so these very simple, not over the top sweet, cookies hit the spot. I love them. They are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea or just that little something after a meal. The cinnamon and sugar adds the perfect touch.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and Sugar mixture
- Cream shortening and sugars together.
- Add extracts and dry ingredients.
- Roll into balls – About teaspoon size
- Roll balls into cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 30-40 minutes