This Feta Stuffed Eggplant recipe is a variation of a Vegetarian Times recipe. The cinnamon in this recipe makes it truly unique. Eggplant will soon be in the stores in abundance. Replace the feta with goat’s cheese to give this recipe twist.
- 3 medium eggplants (3 lbs)
- 2 T plus 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, diced (3 cups)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3/4 cups roughly cut pecan pieces (or walnuts)
- 2 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup panko
- 2/3 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Lemon wedges, optional, for garnish
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, and scoop out flesh and seeds, leaving 1/2-inch-thick edges on eggplants’ shells.
- Cut scooped-out flesh into 1/2-inch pieces, and set in acolander.
- Sprinkle eggplant pieces and inside of eggplant shells with salt. Let stand 25 to 30 minutes, or until beaded with moisture.
- Rinse eggplant shells and pieces in cold water, and pat dry.
- Bring large pot of saled water to a boil and drop the eggplant shells in water. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, or until barely tender when pierced with fork.
- Drain in colander, cool, and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add eggplant pieces, tomatoes, pecans, cinnamon, oregano and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and browned, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to a broil.
- Toss panko (breadcrumbs) with 4 tsp olive oil in bowl.
- Brush each eggplant shell with 1/2 teaspoon oil, and place cut-side up on baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes, or until tender and starting to brown.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Divide filling among eggplant shells.
- Sprinkle each stuffed eggplant with breadcrumb mixture, and top with feta cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes, or until heated through and browned on top. Serve with lemon wedges, if using.