Homemade flour tortillas remind me of my Grandmother’s cooking (even though my Grandmother was Italian). These homemade flour tortillas are simple, real food that can make any filler taste gourmet.
Use these flour tortillas to wrap your breakfast omelet, make a Mexican S’more, house your favorite fajita ingredients, make soft tacos, etc.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter (or 1/8 butter and 1/8 lard)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Combine and mix all ingredients using your hands. Crumble butter/lard until it’s a coarse texture. The dough should bind for a moment and then break apart when you squeeze it in your hand.
- Add in the warm water. You may need to add a bit more for a looser consistency. Dough should not be too sticky or too dry.
- Kneed dough in your hands for a couple of minutes. It should feel smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 8-10 golf ball-sized balls. Place balls on plate and cover with a warm, damp cloth. Let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Flatten balls with hands into discs making circles and then roll them out into tortillas with rolling pin.
- Heat pan to medium hot and lay tortillas down for about 8 seconds and then flip (this should produce light brown spots). cook for additional 60-90 seconds. The tortillas may bubble up. Flip over and press down with spatula. They should puff up a bit.
- Place finished home-made tortillas in a tortilla holder or on a large plate and cover with a warm towel until ready to eat.
- You can place uneaten flour tortillas in a resealable plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for a few days or in the freezer for several weeks.