- 10 medium-large tomatoes (about 3 pounds), washed and diced
- 3 carrots, scrubbed, trimmed, and diced
- 5 celery ribs, diced*
- 2 huge onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6-8 cloves)
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth**
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- dash of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large stock pot, simmer the first 6 ingredients for about 1 hour, covered. Stir occasionally during cooking if needed. Vegetables should be tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so. Adjust salt to taste (important!).
- Serve soup chunky if desired. For a smooth tomato soup, transfer hot soup to a blender and blend until soup is smooth. Pour into bowls and serve.
*I have used a celery heart, including the leaves.
**I use Better than Bouillon chicken base and water. Add extra bouillon for more flavor, if desired!