These Greek stuffed peppers are made without any meat. Fresh, rich, and flavorful this recipe for Greek Stuffed Peppers is perfect for the night when you want to keep things light.
Feel free to experiment by switching the feta for mozzarella or blue cheese or add cannellini beans instead of chickpeas. This recipe is very adaptable and easy to make.
- 4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed), chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute. Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.