This recipe is for Grilled Bacon and Cheese sandwiches is an indulgent, adult version of the grilled cheese sandwich we grew up with. One thing that sets this recipe apart from others is that the bread is dipped in egg and cooked like french toast which makes this a very rich sandwich. I guess it is similar to a Monte Cristo.
Because this recipe calls for both sides of the bread to be topped with cheese and bacon, it is a very hearty sandwich and thus could be served as a dinner. You could only top one side of the bread to make it somewhat less indulgent or do as I do and eat half of the really indulgent sandwich.
This grilled bacon and cheese sandwich is great served with homemade potato salad and a barrel pickle, but it can be served with a cup of soup or a salad. This is even a sandwich worthy of serving to guests.
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- 8 slices of sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of wheat bread
- butter for frying
- Mix egg, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl
- Melt butter in heavy pan
- Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture – allow mixture to absorb into bread
- Fry first side of bread to golden, flip and add cheese browned side of all slices of bread
- Cover pan to allow cheese to melt – keep heat on low
- When cheese is melted, top all bread with bacon
- cover for a few minutes to allow bacon to melt into cheese
- Put together bread so that you have 2 sandwiches
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately