Grilled shrimp are always a hit. There is very little prep and they cook quickly. Sometimes I serve grilled shrimp as an appetizer over a bed of greens, while other times I use it as my main course. Either way, this is a great summer grilling option.
- 1/2 cup hot pepper paste
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup white wine, lemon juice or wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound extra large shrimp, unpeeled, deveined
- Wooden skewers presoaked in water ½ hour
- Mix the first five ingredients in a bowl. Toss in the shrimp and give them a turn. Let stand ½ hour. Thread on the soaked skewers.
- Place the skewered shrimp over medium coals and grill 1 ½ minutes. Turn over and grill the other side for 1 ½ minutes more, until the shrimp are lightly pink and start to curl.
Tip: For this dish, you can sometimes get shrimp that has been deveined but the shells are left intact and are easy to peel. Keeping the shells on during grilling protects the shrimp from drying out.