Every family must have a recipe for Hamburger soup. This hearty soup can be made with most any ingredients and can be altered by taste or what is in your refrigerator. I love this recipe and love that it can be made and served as a hearty meal or as a cup of soup with a sandwich.
- 1 pound ground beef (or half beef and half Italian sausage)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter for sautéing
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup leek, diced, optional
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups tomato juice
- ¼ cup rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water (or broth if omitting tomato juice)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté onions, carrots, celery, and leek in olive oil or butter until soft.
- Add potatoes, ground beef and sausage. Cook until meat is browned. (Meat should be in small pieces.) Add rice, tomato juice, water or broth, basil, thyme and bay leaves. Cook for 1-2 hours. Add salt and red pepper flakes. Serve with croutons, crackers or bread and butter.