I used to love these jam filled shortbread cookies as a kid. I almost forgot about them. The coconut adds a nice twist to these cookies. I especially like them when they are still warm from the oven. Baking these will make your house smell wonderful!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c coconut, toasted
- 1/4 c hazelnuts, toasted
- raspberry jam, for filling
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium blend together sugar and butter until soft and light yellow, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile finely chop (either with your knife or in a food processor) the coconut and hazelnuts. Blend vanilla into butter and sugar mixture, then add salt and flour with mixer on low. Once incorporated, add coconut and hazelnuts and stir just until blended together. Remove dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, form into a disk, wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes or until firm.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thick. With a cookie cutter, cut dough into large circles. Cut out a small circle in half of the circles (preferably the best looking circles) using a smaller circle shaped cutter. Place all circles onto cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies 12-14 minutes until edges begin to brown, rotating sheets halfway through if baking more than one sheet at a time. If not, refrigerate dough between baking. Remove trays to cooling rack to let cool for a few minutes. Remove cookies from tray and place onto cooling rack to cool completely. Once completely cool spread about 1 tsp or more of raspberry jam onto the bottom circle cookies and top with doughnut shaped cookies. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.