- 1 small head green cabbage (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 large rib celery, cut into thin slices
- 3/4 C. distilled white vinegar
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, peanut, or canola oil
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 T. salt
- 1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
Makes about 8 cups
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Shred the cabbage as finely as possible and transfer to a large bowl. Using the coarsest side of a box grater, shred the carrots; cut the green pepper in half and remove the seeds, ribs, and stem, then cut them into extremely fine strands; cut the celery thin and crosswise and add all ingredients to the cabbage.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour the dressing over the slaw. Toss well.
- Refrigerate the slaw, tightly covered, for at least 8 hours before serving. As the slaw will not wilt much, it should remain crisp and fresh tasting for 2 to 3 weeks.