Cheez-Its are are known by everyone and are a favorite childhood snack for many of us. I have often made myself a grilled cheese sandwich and had the cheese ooze out from between the bread and get golden brown in the fry pan. This browned cheese is almost better than the melted cheese between the bread slices. Whenever that happens I wonder how I could have these tid bits as a snack. Homemade Cheez-Its – that’s how!
These homemade Cheez-Its are addicting and taste like those deliciously browned bits of cheese which have overflowed and oozed out of my grilled cheese sandwich. I just making a guess, but don’t be surprised if you make this recipe for Homemade Cheez-Its more than once in a short period of time….and double the recipe.
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 – 4 tbs ice water
- Mix the shredded cheese, half of the salt and the softened butter together. (I used sharp aged white cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).
- Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares.
- Preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little cheez-its onto the parchment paper, make a hole in the center of each with a toothpick, then sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake for about 7 – 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don’t burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).