- 5 cups flour
- 1 package dry active yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon shortening like Crisco
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon flour to cover
- Dissolve the yeast in a bowl with the 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water and 2 teaspoons sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour to the bowl and mix well. Cover with a cloth and let it sit for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
- Once ready, remove the cloth and add in your remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Flour the surface of a pan and knead the dough on top until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
- Place in a bowl to let rise for about an hour.
- Once done, break off 10 to 12 portions of dough.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion into a smooth ball. Press down on the dough pieces with your hands and twist the opposite ends of each side of the rolls in order to maintain their shape.
- Sprinkle them with a tablespoon of flour.
- Cover the pieces of dough and let them sit in a warm, dry place for about 45 minutes to completely finish rising.
- Pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place the rolls crease up on a lightly greased and floured baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the bread rolls are golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve while hot or place them in a plastic bag to save for later.
Source: Easy Portuguese Recipes