Not being a fan of bottled salad dressing, I make my own. A good Thousand Island dressing will make any salad delicious. Serve with a full salad or a simple wedge. One of the things I love about this Thousand Island dressing recipe is that all of the ingredients are always in the house so I can make this at any time. Though letting the dressing sit so that the flavors have a chance to meld, this Thousand Island dressing is great when it is first made as well.
Thousand Island Dressing is also great served as a dip for veggies. Try it next time you are serving a crudite platter.
- 1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Vidalia onion, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Several squirts of Tabasco, to taste (use your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 tsp mustard
- two pinches of paprika
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Taste as you go to get the exact proportions the way you like them.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
NOTE: This dressing tastes better if it is made ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to mingle.