Italian sausage, whether mild or spicy, packs great flavor. On a cold winter day, this recipe is a nice change from the ordinary. This hearty Italian sausage stew makes for a stick-to-your-ribs meal. I like to spice it up by using spicy Italian sausage and a good hard hit of cayenne pepper.
- 16 ounce package Mild or Hot Italian Sausage Links, cut in coin sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms or 8 ounces white button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups chopped swiss chard, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes (in juice)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots; cook 5 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Add sausage to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage is browned
- Stir in mushrooms; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture.
- Stir in barley, chicken broth, tomatoes, Swiss Chard, salt, and pepper, Italian seasoning, white wine. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- Serve immediately.