- 1 1/2 pounds loose Italian sausage
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz. lasagna noodles, broken into smaller pieces
- 8 oz. fresh spinach, optional
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and brown sausage making sure to break it up.
- Once sausage is cooked through, add onion and cook until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, and add basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in tomato paste until incorporated, then pour in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, water and bay leaves.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add lasagna noodles and spinach (if using) and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente.
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta and parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls and serve with a large spoonful of ricotta mixture.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes