I love the tart, tang of fresh lemon…and I love the simplicity of shortbread cookies. Together these two things make for a very indulgent treat. Rich and delicious, these Lemon Shortbread Cookies are bound to please ! Serve with a cup of tea…or anything else!
If you don’t want to glaze these cookies, feel free to leave them plain or sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest from two lemons
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter, sugar, zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and stir just until blended.
- Mix together flour and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix just until blended.
- Divide dough in half and roll into cylinders (about a foot long). Place in refrigerator for two hours (or up to two days).
- Remove dough from fridge and unwrap. Slice into circles about 1/4 inch thick and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until just starting to turn golden brown around the edges. Remove immediately to wire racks and let cool completely.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle or spread over cookies.