Here is a healthy recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo. I love Fettuccine Alfredo, but the fat and calories associated with this meal make it an occasional recipe in my house. This version of Fettuccine Alfredo is a healthier recipe and will allow you to make and eat Fettuccine Alfredo at home more often without feeling the guilt associated with this indulgent meal.
- 1 package (12 oz) fettuccine
- 2 cups (1%) low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh flat-leaf parsly springs, for garnish
- Start to cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour in a medium saucepan, until flour is blended.
- Add bay leaf and garlic and cook over medium heat 8 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until mixture becomes slightly thickened. With slotted spoon, remove bay leaf and garlic.
- Add grated Romano cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg, stirring until cheese completely melts.
- Drain pasta in a large colander; transfer to a bowl. Toss pasta with butter and parsley, then stir in cheese sauce and toss again.
- Spoon pasta into 4 shallow serving bowls; sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.