A layered salad is an easy way to turn a salad into a main course. This Mexican layered salad includes all the flavors of a great Mexican dish – in one bowl. If you are looking to serve this salad as an entree and would like to include meat, simply add cubed chicken breasts (flavored if you like with taco seasoning) or ground beef (flavored with taco seasoning).
- 4 cups torn romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, halved and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, sliced or cut into 1/2-in. chunks
- 1 each large green and sweet red pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Rotelle
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer fresh vegetables. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chilies and seasonings; spread over top. Sprinkle with chips and cheese.