Making these mini apple pies is a great way to serve guests without the mess of pie cutting. These individual mini pies just pop out of the cupcake tin they are baked in and can easily be plated for each guest. Every one of them comes out perfect!
- one recipe of Perfect Pie Crust – below
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (Granny Smith, Fuji, Rome, Pink Lady)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on floured surface.
- Cut out rounds (should be about 4-5 inches in diameter) using an appropriate sized tupperware or lid of a large container.
- Place dough disk into muffin cup, gently pressing down to conform to cup.
- Mound apple slices into cup.
- Top with another disc of crust, crimping edges to seal. Alternatively, weave a lattice top crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling. Let cool completely before removing from muffin tins. Makes 12.
Perfect Pie Crust Recipe
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until pea-sized.
- Beat together egg, vinegar and water. Mix liquid with flour mixture, using a fork, until mixture forms a ball (Note: add liquid one tablespoon at a time. You probably will not use all of it.)
- Roll out on lightly floured pastry cloth with cloth covered roller.