When I was a kid, we’d order pizza and mussels marinara (spicy) at about 9:00 on a Friday night. What a treat. I never really thought to try making the mussels myself until the other day. I was in the store and I saw a bag of mussels for $5 so I picked them up. I bought a can of crushed tomatoes and went home to create. Making this treat could not have been easier. See below.
- 1 bag / 1 pound of fresh mussels
- 1 canned of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- Wash/clean mussels
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and saute garlic being careful not to burn
- Add crushed tomatoes and all other ingredients
- Bring to boil, lower heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes
- Add mussels, cover and cook until mussels are completely open
- Serve with crusty bread alone or serve over pasta.