There are many recipes for Past Fagioli and you can switch ingredients or spices based on your personal tastes. Below is simple recipe for a basic Pasta Fagioli, but you should feel free to change it or add to it. I sometimes add tortellini instead of pasta when I am serving it to guests. In the summer, I add fresh basil and fresh orengano from my herb garden.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked pasta
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, with liquid
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook celery, onion, garlic, parsley, Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt until onion is translucent. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce, and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook 10 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Add undrained beans and mix well. Heat through. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.