I made this pasta primavera recipe last night and it was positively delicious. The fresh vegetables, basil, and mozzarella made this a gourmet meal!
I served grilled, boneless chicken breasts marinated in homemade Ceasar salad dressing, but the pasta primavera stood on its own and didn’t actually need anything more. I suspect this recipe would also be delicious with grilled shrimp or grilled chicken mixed into the pasta. Maybe next time I’ll give it a try.
- one pound penne pasta
- 1 package of white mushrooms, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 cup sweet Vidalia onion, cut into thin slices and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of broccoli crowns, cut into small flowerettes – with stems cut off
- 1 large ripe tomato, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain but reserve some water
- In large skillet, saute garlic, onions, and broccoli until broccoli is nearly cooked ( firm).
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Then add chopped tomatoes. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer pasta to skillet. Toss with vegetables.
- Add cubed mozzarella, grated cheese, salt and pepper, and fresh basil.
- Toss again. Add a bit of the pasta water if dry.
- Serve immediately.