Pickled beets are an old standard that everyone probably knows how to make. This is the recipe I use. Simple, but delicious! I like to make picked beets a few days before I want to serve them. This allows time for everything to sink into the beets and onions.
- 2 cup drained, sliced or whole beets, reserve 1/3 c. liquid
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup reserved beet liquid or water
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 of a sweet onion sliced thin
- 1 tsp. pickling spice (opt.)
- In medium saucepan, combine drained beets, sliced onion, sugar, liquid and vinegar.
- Tie pickling spice in piece of cheesecloth or paper towel. Add to beets.
- Cook until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and remove pickling spice before serving.
- Yield: 2 cup pickled beets.
- Leftovers will keep several weeks in refrigerator.